We rise by lifting others – the Hg Rising Female Leadership Forum 2018
Diversity is a key factor for greater business performance and success. Research shows that more diverse teams:
- Make better and faster decisions;
- Show greater productivity; and;
- Deliver more innovation.
In fact, according to a recent study by McKinsey, gender diverse teams are 15% more likely to have financial returns above their national industry median, and, in the UK, every 10% increase in gender diversity on senior-exec levels resulted in a rise in EBITDA by 3.5%.
Despite these incentives, the statistics continue to fall short. Only 17% of those working in Technology in the UK are female and only 29% of the overall workforce in Private Equity is female. This represents a challenge for the industry, for Hg and for businesses in our network.
At this year’s Hg Female Leadership Forum, over 100 women from across the Hg family gathered to share experiences, network and learn new skills. The key aim of the forum was to provide attendees with valuable skills and a network to empower and support them in advancing their careers as female leaders.
In line with this, Hg was delighted to launch our cross-portfolio mentoring programme during the forum, which forms part of the continued support for the women moving forward in our network.
With an agenda packed with learning and development, the day also comprised:
- Coaching for a more fulfilled work life, discussing typical challenges women face in business and strategies to overcome them;
- The secrets of presentation skills and communication to come across as more confident and true to yourself;
- Efficient methods for positively influencing and impacting others;
- Human intelligence and how to create better human connections and have greater impact with our stakeholders – using interesting examples from military experiences.
Five professionals from across the Hg family discussed their experiences, career paths and their top tips, including the importance of saying ‘yes’ to new challenges, being visible, and doing what is right for you.
As for advice they would give their younger selves? This included:
- “Go faster girl, you know you can”
- “Don’t be afraid to fail”
- “Embrace and enjoy the good days you have at your job, worry less”
- “Judge people on what they do, not on what they say”
- “Celebrate all small wins”
The day further reinforced the importance of women in business, but also highlighted the challenges many face as minority groups in the workplace.
Since then the feedback has been overwhelming with many attendees saying they feel more motivated, invigorated and inspired.
We look forward to continuing this momentum and witnessing the positive impact that sessions like this will have across our network.